Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Plan

Before I get into today’s post, I want to thank everyone for the positive comments and support. I honestly was not expecting such a huge response and it really touched me and is a great motivator to forge ahead!


Thank you SO MUCH!!!

So, on to today -- Every successful weight loss journey starts with a plan, right? And I am a woman with a plan!


HISTORY: About 7ish years ago, I joined Weight Watchers (WW) to lose around 25 pounds. It’s a GREAT program! They really focus on changing your eating habits healthily and maintaining those habits for a lifetime. {I realize that at some point I fell off the WW wagon, otherwise I wouldn’t be writing this blog ;-)} With that said, I’m not signing up again for WW. Personally, I don’t think my brain would wrap around the new program that they offer (I’ve heard it’s VERY different and I fall into the category of Old Dog = No New Tricks) AND I can’t justify to myself paying for nutrition information that I’ve already paid for. So, for the sake of my blog, I’m going to say that I’m doing a modified (Joyce-ified?) version of WW.



Ok, so a big part of successfully losing weight is keeping track of food intake – AND if you really want to go for it – exercise output. My friend told me about a great iPad/iPhone app ‘Lose It!’, and I’m loving it! {They also have a website loseit.com for those who do not have iWhatevers} When I first signed up, it asked my current weight, my goal weight and how quickly I wanted to achieve it. Then it calculated how many calories I need to eat a day (1210). I input everything I eat and it keeps track of it and even tells me how many calories I have left in the day! It also keeps track of exercise and adjusts my calories for the day based on what I do. Plus, it tracks my weight loss. (I think it was free too or I paid like $1.99. Not bad!)


As for exercise, all I can say is, “Uggh!” I have never been an exerciser. So this is going to be the biggest change for me. My goal is to start walking in the mornings, at least 3 times a week. There is a trail at a local park that I absolutely love to walk on. And, I have a little dog who lives for going on walks! Also, my hubby is doing this with me (this is such a BIG help), so we’re trying to get a stroll in after dinner. I’ll talk more about exercise and my struggles with it later.


My main focus is calorie intake for now. I’ve overeaten for more than 2 years, so I know it’s going to take a lot of brain power to change that habit!


What helps keep you on track?

1 comment:

  1. One thing to remember is NOT to set your calories too low, too low of an intake can be hard to manage & logging calories is a great management tool, however, when I got my BB (Body Bugg) they said always over estimate by at least a quarter when inputting. Just a FYI.

    Good job on the exercise, slow and steady wins the race!

    ReplyDelete