Friday, April 15, 2011

Good Intentions

This is me (about 3 weeks ago). {I cropped my friend from the picture, you know, to protect the innocent.} I’ve been thinking about doing this blog since January [2011]. The only reason I can think of for not doing it is FEAR; fear of facing the truth, fear of criticism, and fear of failure. BUT, I went to the doctor this week (it’s been 1 ½ years since I’ve been because I didn’t want him to tell me I’m fat, lol), to get HELP and to check all my numbers – blood pressure, blood sugar, thyroid, and cholesterol. I’m expecting the last number to be high, just because my weight is so high, but I know, it doesn’t always work like that.

Me 3 yrs ago - this my goal

Anyway, I want to get to the intention of doing all of this:


My 1st reason is completely selfish as I’m hoping that it help me to stick with this. I’ve intentionally lost weight before – around 25 lbs, about 2 yrs before I had my son, who is now five – and it was an arduous process then, but now I have about 50 lbs to lose! I’m not looking to be super model skinny, just a reasonable and maintainable weight for me. I realize that when I get to my goal weight there will be some people who will still consider me fat. That’s fine with me.


My 2nd reason is that I hope to encourage others struggling with weight loss; so they know they’re not alone. I also hope to get encouragement (another selfish reason) and ANY tips that can be offered.


I plan to offer full disclosure. And for me, that means I may not always be positive. But I’m really, really going to try to stay positive. I promise.


So, here are my stats:

Age - 36

Height – 5’2”

Weight – 195

Size – Approx 18

Goal Weight – 145

Goal Size – 10 to 12


And, just so I’m being completely honest, I started taking Adipex (phentermine) this week, that I got from my doctor. It’s an appetite suppressant and it’s NOT FOR EVERYONE. I’m healthy (low blood pressure, no heart or liver problems), so there’s lower risk for me to take this drug. I’m being monitored by my doctor. I’m using it to help me get used to eating smaller portions and snacking less. I do have EVERY intention to change my eating habits and make healthier choices – but I realized that after 4 months of trying to do this on my own and NOT losing anything – I need HELP!


Also, I’m not getting paid to promote anything on this blog. If I like something, it’s just because I like it.


That’s it for now. I’m nervous and scared to share this with all the blog world. But, I think that this will be a good motivator to keep me on track. I hope you’ll follow me on this journey!

5 comments:

  1. Best of luck to you! There's nothing like feeling good every day. In changing your eating habits, perhaps you might want to read Michael Pollan. He's a great source of inspiration, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an inspiration you are!!! My husband and I have just decided that we need to take the weight loss journey. Adult onset diabetes runs in his family and it scares me. Plus, with two (possibly 3) of my pregnancies plagued with gestational diabetes, my risk is also high.

    We want to start eating right to be an example to our kids, but it's so hard! I'm an emotional eater. Even if I don't love the ice cream/candy/cake I am eating I sometimes binge on them. I want to break the cycle.

    I look forward to the encouragement your journey provides. Thank you for being open, honest, vulnerable, and all around fantastic. Just another thing for me to admire about you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to tell you I had lost 58lbs I did this in 5 months but I also had no life i worked out and focused on everything that went into my mouth....realistically i can only workout 4-5 days a week. Your going to do great! I made it to 130 and I still thought i was too thick so us women are crazy anyways! Remember there are good substitutes for snacks that you enjoy....i love chips and salsa salsa is so good for you but tortilla chips not so much, so instead i have some pita chips! You will find your way! I'm trying to clean up my lifestyle right now! Damn those cadbury mini eggs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weight is something I have always struggled with! It's a constant battle. :/ I wish you the best of luck, Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joyce...so happy for you!! I will follow you and see how you're doing.

    I am re-committing myself to "Skinny Me" today...let's do this together!!!!!!!!!!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete